Non Renewed Registered Dental Hygienists
The following dental hygienists' licenses have expired (3/4/15 9:00 am)
2014 KENTUCKY REGISTERED DENTAL HYGIENIST LICENSE REINSTATEMENT INFORMATION
If you are a KY Dental Hygienist and you have not renewed, your LICENSE HAS EXPIRED. You may not work until you have reinstated your license.
Do not wait to contact staff before you complete your reinstatement. If you need to make changes to your General Supervision/Anesthesia or other privileges - complete your reinstatement first and changes to your privileges will be made after you have completed the online reinstatement.
Please update your own contact information in the online renewal address page. You do not need to contact staff to make updates.
When reinstating your license online, please make sure you select the following when prompted to do so to complete the reinstatement:
1. View Receipt
2. Finish and Print License
3. Download License and Wallet Card
4. Print Your License (Licenses will not be mailed)
To reinstate your license, click here
January 16 -31 $370
On or after February 1 $630
Practicing Dental Hygiene in Kentucky
The statutes and regulations governing the practice of dental hygiene in the Commonwealth of Kentucky changed on July 15, 2010. The information on this webpage has been updated to reflect new requirements.
In order to practice dental hygiene in Kentucky, you must hold an active dental hygiene license issued by the Kentucky Board of Dentistry. Your current license must be posted in each of your practice locations.
Please use the links below or to the left to obtain more information on how to obtain or renew a Kentucky dental hygiene license, obtain local anesthesia & nitrous oxide certification, obtain general supervision privileges, or obtain a charitable limited dental hygiene license.
Use this link to view a list of CODA accredited dental hygiene programs.
Public Health Registered Dental Hygienists
The document below is the dental hygiene regulation which passed successfully through the Administrative Regulation Review Subcommittee July 10, 2012. 201 KAR 8:562 Sec.15
PUBLIC HEALTH REGISTERED DENTAL HYGIENIST
Public Health Registered Dental Hygienist Application
The following application is used to apply for licensure by examination or credentials
The application fee is $125 starting November 1, 2014.
Eligibility guidelines for applicants are detailed below. Each section below also contains an instruction checklist for different types of applicants.
The jurisprudence examination (see below) must be completed by all new applicants for dental hygiene licensure.
You must print out, complete and sign the examination, and then mail it to the Board office for grading. This is an open book exam; you may reference the laws found on this website.
***If you are a dental hygienist and you meet the requirements for a Local Anesthesia Certificate in Kentucky, you must submit a SEPARATE application and $50 fee.
All Kentucky dental hygiene licenses expire on December of even numbered years, and must either be renewed or retired by that date.
Your current license must be conspicuously posted in each of your practice locations.
The Board regrets that it is unable to offer refunds for overpayment of fees. The original check or money order will be returned to you and you will be asked to forward payment in the correct amount.
If you have questions that are not answered on this page or in the documents it links to, please contact the Board office at 502/429-7280.
||Licensure by Examination
To be eligible to apply for licensure by examiniaton, you must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
- You must be a graduate of a CODA accredited dental hygiene school, college, or department of a university
- You must have successfully completed the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination
- You must have successfully passed within the five (5) years preceding the filing of your application one of the following regional clinical examinations: CITA, CRDTS, NERB, SRTA or WREB*
Additionally, you must prove that you meet the requirements of Sections 1 and 2 of 201 KAR 8:560E by submitting the documentation described in the following instruction checklist.
* for purposes of interpretation of this application requirement, the 5 years run from the year the clinical exam was completed through the year the application for KY licensure is submitted and finalized.
||Licensure by Credentials
To be eligible to apply for licensure by credentials, you must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
- You must be a graduate of a CODA accredited dental hygiene school, college or department of a university
- You must have successfully completed the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination
- You must have successfully passed a state, regional, or national clinical examination used to determine clinical competency in a state or territory of the United States or District of Columbia
- You must submit the affidavit below stating that you have legally been engaged in the practice of dental hygiene for five (5) of the past six (6) years in a state or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia if the qualifications for licensure were equal to or higher than those for licensure in Kentucky
Additionally, you must prove that you meet the requirements of Sections 1 and 3 of 201 KAR 8:560E by submitting the documentation described in the following instruction checklist.
If you no longer desire to hold an active Kentucky license, you must notify the Board of your intent to retire your license by submitting a completed and signed Retirement of License Form [PDF-250k]
You may not retire a license that has pending disciplinary action against it.
Failure to properly retire a license may result in disciplinary action for practicing dental hygiene on an expired license or may make you ineligible to reinstate your license.
To reinstate your license, you must submit the following application, along with the documentation describe in the instruction checklist below
||Charitable Limited Dental
If you are a dental hygienist who hold an active license to practice dental hygiene in a U.S. state, territory, or district other than Kentucky and you wish to perform charitable dental hygiene prusuant to KRS 313.254, you must submit the following application to the Board of Dentistry at least thirty (30) days prior to providing healthcare services in Kentucky. There is no application fee for a Charitable license.
If approved for charitable limited licensure, you will be able to perform dental hygiene in Kentucky under the following conditions.
- You may provide charitable dental hygiene services for no more than ten (10) days per charitable event
- You must notify the Board and the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services prior to performing charitable dental hygiene services
- You may only work with charitable entities which are registered with the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services and which meet the requirements of KRS 313.254 and 201 KAR 8:580E
- You may only perform procedures allowed by KRS 313.254, and those procedure must be completed within the duration of the charitable event
- You must perform these duties without the expectation of compensation or charge to the individual, and without payment or reimbursement by any govermental agency or insurer
Charitable limited dental hygiene licenses are valid for no more than two (2) years, and expire on December 31 of even numbered years.
If your charitable limited dental hygiene license has expired, you must reapply for licensure to continue to proved chartiable dental hygiene servied in Kentucky.
For more information on charitable licenses and
the new Public Health Dental Hygienist,
visit the website for the Department for Public Health:
Kentucky Oral Health Program
Applications for Local Anesthesia Registration and General Supervision Registration are available on our Forms page.
Original applications must be submitted; no faxed copies will be accepted.
||Criminal Background Check Information
As a result of HB 1 KASPER legislation, the Board of Dentistry will only accept criminal background checks performed by the FBI.
1. Fill out the background check application from the FBI website: https://forms.fbi.gov/identity-history-summary-checks-review/q384893984839334.pdf
2. You MUST indicate on the form that the results be mailed to:
Kentucky Board of Dentistry
Attn: Shimada Hazley
312 Whittington Pkwy, Suite 101
Louisville, KY 40222
3. Take the completed form to any Sheriff's Department, local Police Department or State Police Department.
4. Your fingerprint card will be completed at the station.
5. Mail the completed form, the fingerprint card and the $18 fee to:
FBI CJIS Division - Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
**Do NOT send the Fingerprint Card to the Board of Dentistry**
**Allow 6 to 8 weeks for the FBI to process your fingerprint card**
For more information on requesting an FBI Criminal Background Check, see: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/submitting-an-identification-record-request-to-the-fbi
On July 15, 2010, the statutes and regulations governing the practice of dentistry in the Commonwealth of Kentucky changed.
The following jurisprudence examination must be completed by all new applicants for dental or dental hygiene licensure.
You must print out, complete, and sign the examination, and then mail it to the Board office for grading. This is an open book exam; use this link to reference the Statutes and Regulations webpage to complete the exam.
For questions that refer to the law outside of the Dental Practice Act, you may also refer to other Kentucky Revised Statutes to answer the question.
||Registered Dental Hygienist Training