Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Continuing Education Requirements


View CE Requirements​

​​​Reporting Continuing Education

All dentists and dental hygienists are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education every two years. If you are also licensed in another state, you must adhere to Kentucky Continuing Education​ requirements as well as the requirements of any state that you are licensed in. You must contact the other state licensing agencies regarding their requirements.​

All dentists and dental hygienists are encouraged, but not required to report their Continuing Education requirements through My CE Tool



My CE Tool

​Graduating During a Renewal Year

A student who graduates during a renewal year (i.e., Graduation Date June 2014 and Renewal is December 2014) are not required to complete additional continuing education. If a student graduates during a non-renewal year of that renewal cycle, (i.e., Graduation Date June 2014 and Renewal is December 2015) they are required to complete 15 continuing education hours.

Requirements for Dentists Under HB1​

​As a result of HB1, all licensed dentists in Kentucky must complete 3 hours of continuing education that relates to the use of the electronic monitoring system, pain management or addiction disorders prior to renewing their license December 31st of each renewal cycle (dentists renew on odd numbered years). The hours may be included in the 30 required hours and are not required additional hours.​

Free Training

View online videos that fulfill 3 hours of continuing education requirement for HB1:

Certificate Requirements​​

Licensees are required to obtain a certificate of attendance or completion to verify all continuing education hours, and to submit it to the Board if audited. These certificates must contain the following information:

  • KBD approved course ID Number
  • Signature of or verification by the provider
  • Name of the licensee in attendance
  • Title of the course or meeting attended or completed
  • Date of attendance or completion
  • N​umber of hours earned (based on clock hours of attendance)
  • Evidence of the method of delivery if the course was taken in a live interactive presentation format.
  • Laser Debridement Certificates must have the Laser Device and Wavelength 

Please see the following example if you have questions about what information should be in a continuing education certificate.

Sample Form

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I wasn’t aware of the new regulations. How were the dentists in Kentucky informed?
A: An email was sent to all dentists by KASPER and the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. The Kentucky Board of Dentistry supplied the KASPER office with all emails that were on file at the time for the dentists in the state.

Q: When did this law become effective?
A: The law became effective on July 20, 2012. There is a grace period that ends September 15, 2012 for all dentists to be registered with KASPER.

Q: I don’t have a computer in my office, what do I do?
A: It is required by law that each office must have one computer with internet capabilities to access the KASPER website and run the KASPER report as well as a printer to print the KASPER results.

Q: When am I required to run a KASPER?
A: A KASPER report is required for all patients that a dentist prescribes schedule II, schedule III and specific schedule IV controlled substances (see Q# 6 below re exception for oral surgery).

Q: How often do I have to run a KASPER report to update a previous report?
A: KASPER reports should be updated every three months.

Q: What do I do if my patient is in pain?
A: If a dentist has performed oral surgery on a patient, they can prescribe a schedule III or schedule IV controlled substance for up to 72 hours without querying KASPER. In all other situations, a dentist must obtain a KASPER report before prescribing any schedule II, III and specific schedule IV medications to a patient.

Q: Is the dentist required to inform the patient that a KASPER report will be generated?
A: No.

Q: Are dentists required to keep the KASPER report in the patient record?
A: It is not a requirement, however it is recommended for documentation purposes. Additionally, if the patient is seen in the office more than one time during a three month period, the same KASPER report can be used. Updated 8/6/2015

Q: Informed Consents are required to be signed by patients. Is there a separate Informed Consent that is required for prescriptions given to patients?
A: Patients must consent to their treatment, which includes the medication being prescribed. This can be included on the same Informed Consent form.

Q: Is it required that post treatment instructions are included in the patient record?
A: It is not a requirement; however it is recommended in the event the dentist is asked to provide proof that it was provided at a later date.

Q: I’m a licensed Kentucky dentist, however I am in the military. Do I still need to register?
A: Yes, currently the law requires every Kentucky dentist who holds a DEA license to register with KASPER, whether or not you are currently practicing dentistry in Kentucky.

Q: Am I required to complete any continuing education requirements regarding these changes in House Bill 1?
A: Dentists are required to complete 3 hours of continuing education that relates to the use of the electronic monitoring system, pain management or addiction disorders prior to renewing their license December 31, 2013.

Q: Can an associate dentist write a refill for a patient if the associate dentist that treated the patient is not present?
A: Yes, provided the partner or associate perform an exam on the patient prior to prescribing the controlled substance. Additionally, If the KASPER is older than three months, an updated KASPER would need to also be obtained.

Q: I am a licensed dentist in Kentucky and am adhering to the new HB1 law. Occasionally the KASPER report takes an extended amount of time to process. Do you have any recommendations for this situation?
A: Although not a requirement, it is permissible to designate a staff member to obtain the KASPER reports in advance of the patient’s appointment to alleviate this problem.

Q: If I run a KASPER on a patient and I feel that the patient may be abusing drugs, what should I do?
A: Speak to the patient in private. Explain to them that you have concerns about their health and welfare as a result of the information that was generated on the KASPER. You have the right to refuse to prescribe them a controlled substance. You can also contact the local law enforcement agency if you feel the need to do so.