Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Charitable Limited Licensure

Please be sure to read the law regarding Charitable Dentistry in Kentucky if you are hosting or organizing a charitable event or volunteering as a dentist at a charitable event.

201 KAR 8:581. Charity Dental Practices

  • All charitable dental practices shall notify the board no less than thirty (30) days prior to the start of an event of the dates, locations, and host of the event
  • A charitable dental practice shall provide the names and license numbers of all participating dentists and dental hygienists no later than fifteen (15) days post-event

Obtaining a Kentucky Charitable Dental License

If you are a dentist who holds an active license to practice dentistry in a U.S. state, territory, or district other than Kentucky and you wish to perform charitable dentistry pursuant to KRS 313.254, you must submit the following application to the Board of Dentistry at least thirty (30) days prior to providing healthcare services in Kentucky. There is no application fee for a Charitable license.

If approved for charitable limited licensure, you will be able perform dentistry in Kentucky under the following conditions.

  • You may provide charitable dental services for no more than ten (10) days per charitable event
  • You must notify the Board and the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services​ prior to performing charitable dental services
  • You may only work with charitable entities which are registered with the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services and which meet the requirements of KRS 313.254 and 201 KAR 8:580E
  • You may only perform procedures allowed by KRS 313.254, and those procedures must be completed within the duration of the charitable event
  • You must perform these duties without expectation of compensation or charge to the individual, and without payment or reimbursement by any governmental agency or insurer

Charitable limited dental licenses are valid for no more than two (2) years, and expire on December 31 of odd numbered years.

If your charitable limited dental license has expired, you must reapply for licensure to continue to provide charitable dental services in Kentucky.

Frequently Asked Questions

When a private office offers free dental care AND they bring in out-of-state dentists to offer treatment as well in their offices, is this a ‘charitable dental event’ that needs registering with Kentucky Board of Dentistry and the Department of Public Health?

Yes, this falls under the charitable licensure rules and the out-of-state dentist must have a charitable license.