Registered Dental Assistants are auxiliary staff who are deemed registered when the dentist employer report their names on the Online Dental License Renewal every biennium. If you are a dental assistant, you do not complete a registration. You only become a "registered dental assistant" if your employer dentist lists your name on the Dentist Online License Renewal.
The employer dentist will report the names of the employees as Registered Dental Assistants who have completed Board approved educational requirements for:
- Coronal Polishing
- IV Placement
If you are a dentist employer, no action needs to be taken to register any auxiliary staff until you complete your Online Dental License Renewal.
Expanded Duties is not a specifically recognized certification under the law in Kentucky. Dental assistants who receive formalized training or education in expanded duties do not qualify for a certification in Kentucky.
The employer dentist may indicate that an assistant has been approved to perform expanded dental assistant duties only under that individual dentist's direct supervision. A dental assistant is only authorized under the direct supervision of each specific individual employer dentist.
Renew Dental License
Dental Hygienists are permitted to perform all duties within the definition of dental hygiene:
"Dental hygiene" means the treatment of the oral cavity, including but not limited to dental hygiene assessment or screening, scaling and root planning, nonsurgical therapy, removing calcareous deposits, removing accumulated accretion from beneath the free gingival margin, cavity preventive procedures, periodontal procedures that require administering antimicrobial agents along with other general dentistry activities outlined in the treatment care plan and not prohibited by this chapter or by administrative regulation promulgated by the board.
Dental Hygienists are permitted to perform additional duties with the requisite education, training, and experience:
- Practice of local anesthesia:
- See requirements listed at 201 KAR 8:562, Section 11
- General Supervision:
- See requirements listed at 201 KAR 8:562, Section 12
- Starting Intravenous Access Lines:
- See requirements listed at 201 KAR 8:562, Section 13
- Laser Debridement:
- See requirements listed at 201 KAR 8:562, Section 14
- Public Health Dental Hygiene:
- See the requirements listed at 201 KAR 8:562, Section 15
Dental Assistants and Dental Auxiliaries
Pursuant to KRS 313.045(5) and KRS 313.050(1), dental assistants and dental auxiliaries are permitted to perform only those procedures that do not require the professional competence of a licensed dentist or a licensed dental hygienist.
Pursuant to KRS 313.045(8) and KRS 313.050(2), dental assistants and dental auxiliaries are permitted to take radiographs with the requisite education, training, and experience.
Pursuant to KRS 313.045(6), dental assistants only are permitted to perform coronal polishing with the requisite education, training, and experience.
Pursuant to 201 KAR 8:571, Section 5, dental assistants only are permitted to start intravenous access lines with the requisite education, training, and experience.
Pursuant to KRS 313.045(7) and KRS 313.050(1), registered dental assistant and dental auxiliary services shall not include the following:
- The practice of dental hygiene or the performance of the duties of a licensed dental hygienist that require the use of any instrumentation which may elicit the removal of calcareous deposits or accretions on the crowns and roots of teeth
- Treatment planning and prescription, including prescriptions for drugs or medicaments, or authorization for restorative, prosthodontic, or orthodontic appliances
- Surgical procedures on hard or soft tissues of the oral cavity, or any other intraoral procedure that contributes to or results in an irreversible alteration of the oral anatomy
Pursuant to KRS 313.050(1), dental auxiliaries are additionally prohibited from administering injectable medication or anesthesia, unless otherwise authorized by law.